Finding Out If Your Child Has Attention-Deficit/Hyperactive Disorder

Are you concerned that your child may have attention-deficit/hyperactive disorder? If your child struggles to pay attention in class, is often quite hyperactive, does not like to sit still, and even has mood swings regularly, there is a possibility that this is something your child has but you will not know until you speak with the pediatrician and have an ADHD evaluation performed.

What Happens During the Evaluation?

The evaluation process consists of a few different steps. A specialist may need to monitor your child in a room with different activities to see how he or she reacts. The specialist would make note of anything specific, such as your child's inability to pay attention to the instructions given or your child's inability to want to complete the task in front of him or her. Aside from evaluating the child in person and making note of any potential problems, the specialist will request feedback from you and anyone else who works with your child, such as a teacher or tutor.

Getting feedback from people who work with the child regularly is important. You may need to fill out a questionnaire that asks plenty of different questions on how your child behaves at certain times and during certain situations. The teacher may need to fill out a similar questionnaire while providing details on how the child acts in a classroom environment, especially around other children. After reviewing the information, the specialist may diagnose your child with ADHD.

Is There a Way to Treat ADHD?

Various treatment methods are often recommended for parents of children with ADHD. Medication may be prescribed to your child to make him feel calmer and more relaxed instead of hyperactive and overly energized during the day. Aside from medication, children with ADHD should receive cognitive therapy and could even benefit from speaking with a psychiatrist regularly. As the parent of a child with ADHD, you should consider reading information and educational books on the condition so that you can understand your child's behavior a bit more and do what you can to help your child.

If your child's behavior has been getting worse and you have noticed that he or she struggles to pay attention, has mood swings, is often irritable, and does not like to participate in certain activities, you should speak to the pediatrician who can recommend you to a specialist. The specialist can perform ADHD evaluations before diagnosing your child with the condition and discussing an effective treatment plan.